Friday, July 20, 2012

Teenage Bottlerocket - Freak Out!

For years, I kinda blew off this band until Earthdog convinced me that I needed to go watch them in the corridor at the Congress Theater during a Riot Fest weekend.  So, here we are in the lobby crunched between stage, the beer stand, and the stand selling the famous Congress pizza slices.  The sound sucked all day long because of the echo from the concrete floor to the concrete ceiling.  Then, these Ramones looking youngsters from Wyoming hit the stage.  Holy shit!  I was addicted to them from that point on.  I have seen them a few more times at Insubordination Fest in Baltimore with Earthdog.  They play Ramones style simple (for someone who may play an instrument) chords with catchy, most of the time funny lyrics.  Most of the songs just crack me up.

Well, their newest release, Freak Out!, is no different.  I've been listening to it a lot the last few weeks.  And, it has been growing on me with every listen.  I can't stop listening to it tonight so I figured it would make for a great time to write about it.

I can't wait to see them at Riot Fest this year!!!

1. Freak Out! - quick blast with more mentions of Freak than any other words and gone in a flash.  As the Guinness commercials said, brilliant!
2. Headbanger - a song about a guy that whips his head so fast he gives himself a concussion.  How can that not be funny?  They even give a throwback to the last release and mention the Kiss Army - "what the fuck are you talking about?"
3. Cruising for Chicks - just what you would think it is about in Wyoming.  "In my mother's old Suburban, cruising for chicks."
4. Necrocomicon - a parody of the San Diego Comic Con.  "I thought I saw fucking Yoda."
5. Maverick - a parody of the movie Top Gun - "I'm the only guy in Top Gun she ever dated."
6. Done With Love - the anti love song.
7. Punk House of Horror - Don't go there as Rat smells like piss and the place is a fucking dive.
8. Never Gonna Tell You - (That I Love You) the love song.
9. In the Pit - a sarcastic song about the jocks who couldn't make the football team.
10. Mutilate Me - the X rated sex song.
11. Who Killed Sensei? - " I wanna know who killed Sensei?"
12. Radical - the 2nd love song about a girl that you can not afford.
13. Summertime - the song about the weather extremes of Wyoming and being hot as Mexico in Summertime.
14. Go With the Flow - the 3rd love song and the back and forth break ups that take place during teen love.

No comments:

Post a Comment